So, I have been cooking more. out of this lovely little book. I haven't been able to take good pictures of everything because i can only use the video camera's camera setting. Tonight, I made Spinach Gnocchi. It tastes the exact very similar if not identical to my mother's spinach balls which take longer (and probably cost more to make!)
These reminded me of Christmas. We always have these on at least one of the winter holidays and they are something I look forward to every year!
Gnocchi according to Wikipedia usually consists of soft noodles or dumplings. This recipe didn't really seem like either, so I'll have to try more gnocchi recipes. It also mentions gnocchi means lumps which I get.
Spinach Gnocchi
About half an onion
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 10-oz. package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well-drained, and finely chopped
1 beaten egg yolk
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
A couple of dashes of pepper
2 tablespoons butter melted
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Cook onion in olive oil till tender. Add spinach. Cook for 5-7 min. or till spinach is tender and liquid is evaporated, stirring frequently. Set aside. Combine egg, 2 cheeses, salt, pepper, and nutmeg with the spinach/onion. Mix really well.
Use about a spoonful of the mixture for each ball of gnocchi. Lightly flour your hands and gently roll little green balls.
--These can be cooked in a pot of boiling water and then drained. Cook each for about 4 min. or till the ball floats to the top. Take it out and drain the water.
--I baked them in a greased round pan drizzled each with a spoonful of melted butter and then sprinkled them with parmesan cheese. I baked them in oven for about 14 min. on 425 degrees and they were marvelous. :)
I changed some things, but just so Better Homes and Gardens doesn't want to imprison me for plagiarism here is the book's info.
Better Homes and Gardens, Italian Cook Book, 1979, Meredith
Corporation, Des Moines, Iowa
Love this book so much!
This looks delicious! I wish I had more time to cook. I love it :)
ReplyDelete